Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Making Inferences

Today in reading we tackled a BIG comprehension strategy called inferencing.  To make this topic go from BIG to bite sized, we made a class poster that broke down what inferencing is:
  • Inferencing is figuring something out without a lot of information.
  • Inferencing is using clues to make a good guess.
  • Inferencing is being a detective!
  • Inferencing SOUNDS like "I think..."  "Maybe..." "Probably..." "I infer that..."   "I predict that..."  "I guess that.."
I got out my wallet and we practiced inferring by letting the kids pick something out of my wallet- anything of their choice- and making an inference about me based on the item.  They did a GREAT job!!!

Inferencing is figuring something out without being told by a person, the author, etc.  Enjoy reading what the kids discovered about their teacher! :)


Inferencing is a great thing to practice with your child while reading (Ex.: How does the character feel? How do you know if the author doesn't tell you? What time of day is it in this picture? What season is it?) or when you're out and about (Ex.: All the lights are off in a building- maybe it's out of business?  Maybe it's closed for the day?)

Happy inferring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!